The Bright: Art that was designed for its own sake... but which has attained and exceeded its goals.

The Brave: Art that was designed to affect its audience, and though it may not be the most original or make the most money, it makes a statement.

The Bold: Art that was designed specifically for personal gain... which has little meaning to its audience and is arguably unoriginal.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

The Bright, the Brave, and the Bold

There is a difference between art for art's sake, art designed for the enjoyment of the public, and art for the purpose of personal gain. This statement is applicable not only to visual art, but performance art, music, dance, design, architecture, etc...

What I label "the Bright" is art which was designed without the intention of delighting its audience or the intention of personal gain, but has attained all of this and more.

What I label "the Brave" is art that was designed specifically with the intention to effect its audience, and though it may not be the most original or make the most money, it makes a significant statement.

What I label "the Bold" is art that was designed specifically for personal gain, that has attained some level of fame, but has little meaning to its audience and is arguably unoriginal.

The easiest example I can think of for what exactly I'm talking about is a sexual reference, so please forgive me, but here goes: "The Bright" would be like sex with a new lover- where you are pleasantly surprised and delighted by your partner's performance and how you were made to feel. "The Brave" would be like sex with a partner that you've had a long commitment to- where you accept your partner's downfalls, but are continuously impressed by the effort they make to please you. "The Bold" is like watching someone else masturbate- where you can see what's happening, but it does little for you.

The reason I used "bright," "brave," and "bold," is because simply labeling them "good," "mediocre," and "bad" would miss identifying the intention as well as the outcome. Just because it wasn't a well written movie, doesn't mean it didn't attain the goal of making money. Just because it made lots of money doesn't mean that it had the affect that was intended. And so on...

It's upon this premise of identifying the intention of art and the negatives and positives of what it actually achieved, that this blog has come to be.

Frankly, I'm not going to tell you it was a 'bad movie' or it was a 'great art exhibit', because those words tell you next to nothing- except my personal opinion. While I can't attempt to take my opinion completely out of what I'm writing (as any judgement of art is an opinion), I can attempt to give you an unbiased look at what a specific piece of art has or has not accomplished.

So now that I've said all that, and you know where I'm coming from. Let's have some fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment